What is a Kuripe?
In the world of indigenous medicine, one of the most famed sources of physical healing and spiritual enlightening is the shamanic snuff known as Rapé, a powder that carries the benefits and power of different plants, depending on the blend created. In order for the body of practitioners to receive this medicine, Rapé needs to be blown into their nostrils. And, to do so, the most common and traditional methods involve pipes known as Tepi and Kuripe.
The Tepi pipe is elongated and used when one person, usually a Pajé (shamanic healer) or another experienced user of natural healing, blows the snuff into someone else’s nose. For personal uses, Kuripe pipes are the perfect choice, due to their V-shape, that fits perfectly and comfortably against the mouth and into the nostril, so practitioners may work on their Rapé rituals on their own.
Sacred Connection offers a gorgeous selection of snuff tools to accompany you as you journey into the outstanding world of traditional, sacred healing. From bones to metal, our Kuripe options are crafted by skilled artisans who pour their devotion and respect for Mother Nature and her blessings into each of their works, using top notch source materials and inspiring techniques to create unique tools for all!
The Advantages of Bone Kuripes
The most common source material option for the crafting of Kuripes is certain kinds of wood, such as bamboo or hollowed hardwood. Still, models made using other mediums such as metal or resin can still be found across different cultures and atop shelves of Rapé users.
Some of those who’ve been in touch with the organic side of healing for a while and understand the power of connecting oneself with the spirits of Rapé inevitably feel a certain pull towards Kuripe pipes made of animal bone or horn. Certain models are even considered “premium”, as the very material used in its creation requires more delicate and careful work, while also promising increased durability.
In addition, shamanic traditions and indigenous culture state that, when making use of a certain animal’s bone to delve into the healing powers of sacred herbs, the user can experience an energetic bond with that animal’s spirit and power, as if they are being guided and guarded by them.
Bone Kuripe designs:
How to use your Kuripe to take Rapé
1. Find a place that is sacred to you, somewhere filled with spirituality and energetic flow and that allows you to focus and expand your intentions.
2. Take the time to ground yourself. Think of what you expect to achieve, of what you need guidance for, of what needs healing.
3. Measure the desired amount of snuff (a pea-sized amount should be enough for most cases). You may chant any prayers or hymns if you want.
4. Scoop the blend into the nose-end of your kuripe applicator, then carefully tap the curved V-peak on a hard surface to eliminate any air pockets or bits of stuck rapé.
5. Place the mouth-end into your mouth and carefully position the other end into one nostril. Lean forward and remember to close your eyes.
6. Give the pipe a hard blow and take a moment to experience the moment and feel the strength and power of sacred Rapé.
7. Try and “hold in” the rapé for a few instants before blowing it out again into the other side.
8. Keep in mind that both sides/nostrils should receive this medicine to achieve balance - fear and rejection of part of the ritual might be considered as rejecting the spirit of the Rapé.
9. Remember that this ritual is one of cleansing; expel any fluids that may start dripping from your body, as they can be physical manifestations of spiritual issues you need to let go of in order to heal.
How to use your Kuripe to take Rapé
Using Rapé is a most sacred practice. It has been a part of countless native peoples’ customs all across the Amazon Forest, carrying much more importance and cultural weight than a simple solution to physical ailments, like taking an aspirin to alleviate a strong headache.
It is a ritual, a ceremony, whether it’s done on a daily basis before work, to prepare oneself for hunting or a mundane journey, or even as means to connect with one another and ancestors and spirits.
To use Rapé is to understand its importance, its historical significance, and its place in indigenous culture. It requires time and dedication to the process, respect for its origins and its benefits, and understanding how we can benefit from it.
Dive deeper into the powers of Rapé with our Shamanic Snuff options !
Shop Online with Sacred Connection!
Sacred Connection offers easy and secure online shopping for traditional medicines sourced directly from Amazonian communities. Our own housebrand products are ethically and sustainably sourced, and produced under direct supervision with standardized recipes. We offer excellent customer service and fast, secure shipping.
Sacred Connection’s product range includes sacred snuffs, Sananga eye drops, and more. We believe in making transformative medicines accessible to everyone at an unbeatable price.
Shop with us for authentic and powerful products that have been used for centuries in traditional Amazonian cultures, and experience spiritual, physical, and emotional healing.
Discover other kinds of handcrafted tools!
Exploring the range of snuff applicators and handcrafted tools used by Amazon Basin indigenous peoples can offer a deeper appreciation for their rich cultural heritage and traditions.
These unique tools and traditional crafts, made from natural materials that are ethically sourced from Amazon forest grounds, show the remarkable skills and creativity of different native communities.